Kazzi King

"Negative Space"

Graphite on paper.

18"X24"

8/29/2012

Midterm Self-Assessment

In my drawing class, I don't really feel as though I have any "strengths" or that I don't really excel at anything. I have never been formally trained in drawing, so I don't really know what would be deemed as acceptable. I feel as though I really struggle with drawing in perspective and I find some of my images turning out really unproportional because I keep changing views as I draw without realizing it. I also feel as though I struggle with drawing how things really are and want to draw them the way that I know in my mind what they are supposed to look like. Throughout the second half of the semester, I hope to discipline myself to really stay focused on drawing more realistically and proportionally. Also, I would like to just improve my skills in drawing in general and try to catch up to the skill level of my classmates. 

Final Self-Assessment

Throughout the semester, I have felt as though I was behind in my drawing skills compared to everyone else and I was really discouraged at first. Seeing this as a chance to improve, I really started to work harder and push myself to become better at drawing. I feel as though I have improved a great deal from the beginning of the semester. I still don't feel like I am where I want to ultimately be in my drawing ability; however, I do feel that I have developed some strengths as well. Measuring and proportion was a struggle for me at the beginning of the semester because of some visual impairments, but I think that measuring is now one of my stronger capabilities in my drawing. One of my biggest weaknesses is working with charcoal in general. I don't feel as though I am really familiar with using charcoal when it comes to shading and rendering objects so I definitely need to work on improving in that area.