Project 3

Fiber Installation

Artist Statement for Project 3

November 11, 2015

Innocence

Although the original assignment was to collect objects, I didn’t use end up using mine.  I think what makes my installation successful is the simplicity and pureness of the white cloth, and pins and buttons would be too much.  The white cloth is a metaphor for innocence.  I picked lightweight and almost translucent curtains because they remind me of fragility and vulnerability. Whereas, the rips and holes symbolize how one becomes tattered and tainted after experiencing hardships.  I also added a few strands of red thread, to symbolize blood, pain, and anger.

I researched a lot of artists before starting, most of them working with fabric and thread.  The hanging of net-like instillations of Emily Nachison and Catherine M. Hood caught my eye.  Also, the simple draping of fabric from the ceiling by Abbie Powers inspired me.  Whereas, artists such as Soo Sunny Park, Amanda McCavour, Kate Lewis, and Ernesto Neto who hang things from threads were important in the forming my original idea.

I found solace in creating this because the movements of unraveling and transforming the fabric were repetitive and therapeutic. For me, this piece is representative of my struggles with sexual assault and rape.  My flashbacks include feelings of a light coming through the side window, which is why I chose the spot I used to display this at CCAD.

I created paper mache hands and purposely destroyed them.  In an effort to bring awareness to things that distract students from school work.