The following work represents an ongoing relationship with the landscape of Central Ohio. All pieces are large-scale hand printed color photographs made by myself through traditional and digital photography. The intimacy I feel towards the process of looking and capturing light is reflected in these images. I was born and raised in Columbus and I have vivid memories of life measured in the surrounding suburbs, parks, rivers, golf courses, shopping malls, and industrial sites that make up this landscape. I recognize in these places elegant forms that have a touch of the sublime yet are ignored by most people.

The landscape plays an intricate role in these associations, it is a commodity, a decorator accent, a canvas to show our own vanity and yet the camera shows clearly at times what we fail to recognize in our passing. I am fascinated by our vain attempts to alter the natural world, to seek order, to create immortality, or simply to have a beautiful lawn. My skepticism is tempered with my own desire to create formally elegant images of things that need perhaps further scrutiny. All of this adds up to a perplexing relationship in which I continue to attempt to analyze what marks I will leave behind.

Example Image